Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tea Garden

I never elaborated what is this Turkish tea-drinking culture. It’s all about relaxation and the hot beverage itself. Uhmm.. every local does it, whenever they have the time to spare. Turkish once said and I quote, “Hehehee why do you even ask? I cannot say no to tea”. Maybe I’m the only one who does and I’m not even sure if it’s impolite or not to reject a tea offer LOL

Turkish stays in Sariyer district by the Marmarus Sea downhill from his house. There are no beaches though, just sidewalks for pedestrians. But some folks still jump into the water from the pavement in the evenings LOL His district is like 30 minutes drive to the city centre, depending on traffic. I wouldn’t say far.. I mean with the car you can go about anywhere easily.

After dinner, Turkish’s mother likes to call us for an outing to the Tea Garden. It’s a very casual affair, no need for fancy clothes. We grab reading material, newspapers for his folks and (usually) National Geoographic for ourselves. The view of the seaside is always beautiful. You can see the silhouette of the hills when the moon starts to peek out from behind. The bright artificial lights from office buildings and houses alike add colours to the picture.

His Mum reading the daily paper

Not sure why I look like that, Turkish must have irritated me LOL

A bit of the moon rising for its shift of the day..

Aaaahhh.. see how packed the Tea Garden is!

That dot is a shiny star (stayed there for many nights)


I love Apple Tea. It’s savoury sweet and sour. Thinking it is supposed to be that sweet, I always added a cube of sugar. Then I pondered about the Diabetes issue and clarified with Turkish. He in turn, laughed at me :P Most of the time, we have 3 glasses of tea (minimum) over the time span of 1 1/2 hour. Any issue/topics can be brought up to discuss or merely for amusement.

Apart from gangs of Oriental and Far Eastern tourists wandering at historical sites of Istanbul, you won’t find too many individuals like yours truly. It’s funny how people look at me and Turkish walking hand-in-hand, they look funnier at the whole family especially when his Mum speaks to me in English. The onlookers surely wonder how open-minded his folks must be LOL

4 comments:

Sha said...

Ooh the Tea Garden looks like a very nice place to unwind!

But my best, careful with drinking so much tea. It will stain your teeth! So I brush my teeth right after drinking tea ahahaha. But I guess just drinking some water will help as well.

wicrap said...

u look like that all the time.

or maybe u only showed me that face everytime we meet.

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Hahahahaa thanks for the reminder, my best! I tell ya, it is one of the recommended places to unwind :)

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

And I don't look like that all the time, Leed Wi LOL