Thursday, August 23, 2007

Popo Was 82

My maternal grandmother passed away yesterday evening. I feel so sorry for Mummy. In the past 7months, we have lost 3 loved ones. First was Gu Po (Mummy’s aunt/ our grandaunt), then it was Daddy and now Po Po. Why is there so much grief this year? Mummy says that they were all ill so it couldn’t be helped.

Every sibling returned for the funeral. I wonder why they even bothered. When Po Po was around, none of them visited her. At times Mummy pleaded them to visit Po Po. Mummy feels relieved in the sense that she doesn’t have to worry about her old lady anymore. Since Daddy fell ill earlier this year, she hasn’t been able to take care of Po Po. Now that she rests in peace, Mummy says its better this way. I guess she is right. Po Po had Alzheimer’s and gave a lot of trouble to everybody.

The whole time I had only one picture in my head, Daddy was walking side by side with Po Po. He had always loved his mother-in-law. I don’t know. That was the picture I saw each time I closed my eyes to pray. Perhaps they are walking side by side. Wei Wei (my cousin) was teary and she tried to speak to me. I wasn’t friendly to any of them. I didn’t want to speak to my uncles. The whole time I was looking after Mummy, just in case if she collapses or what.

On a lighter note, there were 3 priests and one of them was an albino. I thought he looked either like an overcooked prawn or baby rodent. His skin was pink and hair white as snow. The prayers were sung in Hakka and for some reasons, I understood. The words were very sad. Very, very sad.

Po Po would be buried next to Gong Gong’s grave tomorrow at noon. The priests said because of Po Po’s old age and she had many grandchildren and great-grandchildren, we shouldn’t cry so much. True. Po Po had lived a long life. Nowadays whenever I pray, I pray for Mummy’s health so Fats and I would be able to take care of her. I want her to play with my kids and so much more. I have lost a parent and only God knows and I will keep reminding God, how afraid I am to lose Mummy.